Rome, Italy. View of the Obelisco Flaminio in Piazza del Popolo, from West. In the background the Loggia on the flank of the Pincian hill. The obelisk was erected in Heliopolis by Ramses II and his son Mineptah circa 1200 b.C., brought in Rome by Augustus and placed in the Circus Maximus. Erected here by Domenico Fontana under pope Sixtus V Peretti in 1589. The fountain with the egyptian lions on the basement was added by Giuseppe Valadier in 1823.
March 26th, 2011
Viewed 1,010 Times - Last Visitor from Beverly Hills, CA on 02/18/2024 at 4:09 AM